How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a gay male who has been in a relationship for 7 1/2 years,

This answer was rated:

I am a gay male who has been in a relationship for 7 1/2 years, originally from the USA, I have been in the UK since october 2001. I initially came on a student visa but stopped my study in 2003. My partner and I would like to get a civil partnership and also travel to see family. How can i get a visa to remain with my partner, get a civil partnership and be able to travel outside the UK boarders?
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. You are at the present time illegally in the UK, correct?
2. What nationality is your partners

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. yes i am currently illegally in the UK,

2. My partner is a british citizen in full time work who supports us both.


Thanks Alan,

How long have you cohabited together?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
7 and a half years

Thanks for your reply.

There is no problem with you being able to have a civil partnership, this is no longer linked to one’s immigration status as a requirement though it is at the discretion of the registrar.

You have overstayed your visa. This is sufficient grounds to reject most visa applications. When you leave the UK you will also receive a ban from entering the UK. If you leave paying for your own journey then this should be a ban of one year. The only way you could re-enter the UK would be to apply on the basis of yoru relationship with your (then) civil partner

If you wish to travel outside the before returning here to settle permanently with your partner then you will need to apply for Settlement as the civil partner of a UK national. Under Immigration Rule 320, if you otherwise meet the criteria for settlement then the UKBA would not be able to rely on the overstay alone to reject your application.

Because of the length your relationship you would have a substantial right to a family and private life under Article 8 which will assist your case. If you meet the criteria and adequately evidence this in your application then you will be successful in applying for settlement.

However, the UKBA are entitled to refuse any such application if it is made within the UK, they can ask you to return to your home country to make the application because this would not infringe your Article 8. After travelling therefore you would have to return to your home country to make the application from there.

The best thing you and your partner can do before you apply is to instruct a UK solicitor to prepare the application for you. It would cost around £1000+vat.

I can provide you with further guidance on the eligilbity criteria for settlement applications if you wish. Just subtmit a further question requesting my profile and marking your question “FAO Tom” and I shall do so.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,




I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?

If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.

Please click accept. You will appreciate that I cannot work for free


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you