How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How the divorce can be settled in UK? Hi, My colleague

This answer was rated:

How the divorce can be settled in UK?


My colleague who is Indian nationality here for couple of years, married 10 moths before with Indian lady in India. the couple is living together in India, from the time of marriage in UK. The couple was not happy with each other because of many dislikes.they both want to get divorce on mutual understanding without any Money or property (wanted from each other).

Is it possible possible to get divorce in UK? though they married in India?
what is the procedure to apply for visa.

Your answer will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Hello Reddy,

Normally, English courts have jurisdiction to grant a divorce in England if either spouse

(a) is domiciled in England or Wales when the proceedings are started, or
(b) is habitually resident in England or Wales throughout the period of one year ending with the date on which proceedings are begun.


So, if they are both from India (domiciled there) and are currently living in India, they will find it difficult to get a divorce in England.


The procedure for applying for a UK visa is here:

Hope this helps. Please remember to click on Accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The couple is living in UK now
In that case, yes, they can obtain a divorce in England if they are habitually resident here now even though the marriage took place in India.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you