UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
62162956

I am british citizen, and living in UK for over 10 years. Good

I am british citizen, and living in UK for over 10 years. Good financial standing.

I want to apply UK residency (bring permanently) for my father. He is retired from govt job and 72 years old.
My mother is no more.

What is the procedure?
How long it takes?
What is the estimated cost for this?

Thanks !
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your queries.

Your father is eligible to apply for an elderly dependent visa which would give him indefinite leave to enter the UK based on his age.

He needs to meet the following criteria:
  • depend wholly or mainly on you for money;
  • he can and will be maintained and housed adequately, without needing public funds, in accommodation which you own or occupy exclusively; and
  • he has no other close relatives who can support him financially.

See this website which gives details of the documents required, fees (£1814 equivalent payable in local currency) etc. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/elderly-dependent/

It is difficult to give an estimate as to how long the visa application would take to process as each case is different from the other.

Good luck and please click Accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
  • - What i can do to establish that?

• - He has three kids including me. Two are in USA. What we can do for that?

You may submit proof of regular bank transfers or western union transfers (or other international money transfers) from your bank account to his to show that he is your dependent as far as money is concerned.

If he is also in the USA and the other two children can support him financially, then he may not qualify for the UK settlement visa. If he is not in the USA, then he should be fine.

The close relatives are required to be in the same country as him.

Good luck and please click on Accept