How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I am a holder of British passport( BNO); my husband

Resolved Question:

Hi there, I am a holder of British passport( BNO); my husband holds HKSAR passport and we are now living in hong kong.
If we are going to delivery our baby in UK, is the newborn going to be given a British passport?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

You cannot transmit BNO status to your child.

If you are able to register as a British Citizen, your baby born in the UK will also be a British Citizen and entitled to a UK passport.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
However the newborn won't be able to get a HKSAR passport as well. What are we to
do? How does the baby travel?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.
If the baby would not be eligible for a HKSAR passport, then the baby may be stateless and eligible to register as a British Citizen on the baby's 5th birthday provided that the baby has lived in the UK for the 5 year period.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does it mean that my baby can't travel before she gets any passport?
We need to travel quiet a lot indeed. Is there any place we can have ourbaby delivered and obtain an passport right away? Thank you!
Also, what's the procedure to deliver baby in that country?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

Your baby would normally not be allowed to travel without a passport.

Your original query has been answered, please click Accept.

As far as I am aware, Canada may be an option for you.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you