How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7613
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good day, I applied for an unmarried partner visa. I have

Resolved Question:

Good day,
I applied for an unmarried partner visa. I have just been granted an "entry Clearance visa" valid for 27 months. The only restrictions on the visa is "no recourse to public funds".
My question is whether I can work in the UK on this visa, or do I need to get another visa/work permit in order to work in the UK?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


An unmarried partner's visa permits you to work without applying for another visa. This is the point of the visa in fact, it permits you to settle in the UK.


No recourse to public funds simply means that as a foreign national in the UK under a visa (ie. Leave to remain) you are not permitted to access government monies such as housing benefits, job seekers allowance etc. It does not mean that you cannot work.

Simply show your passport and the stamp in it confirming your leave to remain and your employer will accept this as your ability to work in the UK.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions