How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance(residing in UK) and I plan on marrying in the US

Resolved Question:

My fiance(residing in UK) and I plan on marrying in the US within the next few months. I (along with my minor child) plan on relocating to the UK. After we marry, I was planning on going to US embassy and applying for all necessary documents. Here are my questions:
1.) Must I apply for a specific Visa? Please specify exactly what I must do.
2.) How long until I am able to relocate to the U.K.? (I also have a minor child)
3.) How long until I am legally able to work in the U.K. ?
4.) Is there any other information that I need to know?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. What nationality are you
  • 2. Is your wife British?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. American

2. No. Has dual citizenship (Austria, South Africa) Works in London

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.


Your fiance is in the UK as an EEA member state national I assume due to his Austrian citizenship/passport.

This means that once you are married you will have to apply for an EEA Family Permit. You will have to apply for this before you travel and and must submit the appropriate documentation to the UK embassy closest to her:-

You will see there is a link at the bottom of the page to how to apply. This contains details about supporting documents and the application form. Your child will have to be joined with you in the application as your dependent.


100% of such applications are determined within 40 days, but they frequently take less longer.


Once you are here on your family permit you will will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms her right of residence in the UK on the basis of your marriage:-



It will either take the form of an endorsement in your passport or as a separate immigration status documents confirming your right to reside here for 5 years.


At the end of this time your will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if you wish subject to the residential restrictions in place and the requirement that you are both still in the UK exercising treaty rights (ie. working).


You will be permitted to work as soon as you are here on the family permit.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,





Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you