How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother was have UK passport before 1948 and this passport

Resolved Question:

My grandmother was have UK passport before 1948 and this passport with us till today.
I am palestinian have a travel document issued by Lebanon
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Do you wish to know whether you qualify for a UK passport
2. Where/when were you born
3. Where/when were your parents born
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1.yes i want to know if my mother and me eligable to get UK passport
2. 31/5/1978 in Abu dhabi in UAE
3. My parents born in lebanon
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sorry, no, you are not eligible for a UK passport on the facts. Uk citizenship is only permitted to descend from one generation to the next if the children of a UK citizen are born outside the UK. So, your father having been born outside the UK would have been able to become a UK citizen if he was married to your mother and then registered your father as British. (this is called being a British Citizen by descent).

Because you were born outside the UK to a UK citizen by descent that citizenship cannot pass once more to you.

Sorry it could not be better news. I’m afraid that if you wish to come to the UK and are not in a relationship with a UK national, foreign national holding indefinite leave to remain in the UK or an EEA member state national then you would have to apply under the points based systems either as a student:-
or as a worker (of which a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled worker visa is most common – under Skilled worker link on the following):-
You cannot apply for workers visa on the basis of ancestry because, regrettably, you were not born in a commonwealth country.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in this case my mother can not take also the ctizenship from her father
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

No, she would have to apply for settlement by returning the UK to live your father after he had obtained his passport. She would then have to apply for indefinite leave to remain after two years and naturalise as a UK national after three years. She could then get a passport.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions