How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I am a UK citizen who lives in the USA and is about to

Customer Question

Hello I am a UK citizen who lives in the USA and is about to become a USA citizen. I plan to move back to the UK. I plan to have two passports and enter the UK with my UK passport. I understnad I will have to file US taxes each year but would like to know what else is involved being a US and UK citizen living in the UK. Transferring money etc
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Having dual citizenship has no implications so far as the UK is concerned. As you say you are subject to US tax and you will also have to comply with US law as it affects it's citizens but that is unlikely to conflict with UK law except possibly in the unlikely event of war between the two countries. you cannot take a foreign government appointment in another country as a US citizen or you can be stripped of your citizenship - that does not as I understand mean all public sector jobs but only those such as government ministries. You would need to check with the US authorities on that. You also have to travel into the US on your US passport but otherwise I am not aware of anything.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



thanks for the answer I appreciate it,


Can you just let me know If I would have to pay more tax having to pay UK tax and additionally "reporting" my taxes to the USA. Is it just a paperwork exercise or will I have to pay extra?


Do you know if there are any limits on taking cash out of the USA? I have house worth about $350,000, I may have to sell, and about $200,000 in a 401K and IRA pension style fund?

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
You get some relief for tax paid in the UK and in fact there are more allowances etc against tax in the US than there are in the UK. There are accountancy firms that specialise in doing these sort of returns and it may be a good idea to get it someone to do it for you.

I do not believe there are exchange controls on the export of dollars and you can transfer them to a UK based account. I would check with your bank but generally I think they are freely transferrable to the UK.
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,


I thought I had sent a follow up question earlier but can't find a record of it.


I would finally really like to know how I might enter and stay in the UK bearing in mind I have to leave the US on my US passport and I am supposed to enter the UK also on my US passport. Won't I have a six month limit on my UK stay or something similar along those lines. I am not sure how I might be able to stay in the UK when entering on a US passport even though I have a US and a UK passport.


Can you help please?

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
You just produce your UK passport when you enter the UK. As it happens a number of my family members have dual nationality so I know form first hand experience. They simply produce their UK passports at border control. The US does not care as long as you enter and leave US territory on a US passport. You also need to make sure that you enter the US passport details in the advanced passenger info when flying to the US but you simply produce your UK passport on arrival back in the UK . As British Citizen you are not subject to immigration control in the UK and your passport is evidence of that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wonderfull, just thought of hopefully one more thing, If we bring a lot of our US things back to the UK will we have to pay some sort of customs tax on them?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
No not if they are used personal and household possessions i.e. owned for more than 6 months and cleared appropriately. The carrier should be able to advise you. That does not mean you can load a container with things to resell however!! It applies only to already owned items.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
ok good luck