How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to complete my application to naturalise as a British

Resolved Question:

I am about to complete my application to naturalise as a British citizen and am unclear on how to answer one question, which is - What date did you enter the UK with the intention to live here permanently. I first entered the UK 10 years ago on a student visa but moved on to a sponsored work permit five years ago (which was when I actually intended to live in the UK permanently). However, my application and grant of sponsored work permit was made in-country. So I am not sure what response to give to this question. Should it be the date when I first entered the UK 10 years ago as a student not intending to remain permanently or the date of the grant of my work permit when I was in-country. Kindly advise.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Are you referring to question number 2.1 of form AN
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes it is. That's the only question regarding this point in the application form. It is also referred to in Section 7 of the Guidance Notes to form AN.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

How did you obtain ILR? long residency or based on 5 years working?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Long residency acquired over 10 years.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

When you originally entered as a student was it your intention to stay until you reached the 10 years long residency requirement OR was it simply to study and then you subsequently realised that this was an option and then decided to aim for 10 years latterly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused about this as I set out the facts quite clearly which was that ten years ago I intended to study. Five years ago, on acquiring a work permit, I intended to remain poermanently.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand what you are saying but there is a difference between:-
1. Coming to the UK to study with the intention of returning home
2. Coming to the UK to study but with the intention of seeking to secure further leave to remain with a view to fulfilling the 10 year long residency criteria.

In any event you should enter the date that you first entered the UK at 2.1 but you need to elaborate in the covering letter which you will send with the application as a whole.

IN the covering letter you need to explain that you have put this date because this was the date upon which you entered the UK to study. You then need to explain when you realised that you would be able to secure ILR on the basis of legal leave to remain by switching categories in order to complete the residency criteria. You should provide an approximate date when you developed your intention to ultimately seek ILR on the basis of long residency.

Provided you explain your position adequately in your covering letter this will not be a problem in terms of the date you enter in box 2.1
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you