How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to work for British gas (they require I have a

This answer was rated:

I would like to work for British gas (they require I have a work permit) for three months. I worked previously on their project for 6 months, but at the time I was working for an agency I am no onger with. I am now independent. How can I go about this? The dates will be Nov 25 - Feb 14 and I will be staying for 4 weeks at a time with a break between holidays.
Can you explain your circumstances a bit more. Where are you resident? What is your UK immigration status? Where will you be based?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a US citizen and I will be staying in a local hotel in Reading as I did before and taking the train to the office. The last time I worked for British Gas in UK I was not required ot have a work permit - just a passport - the difference was I was being paid by the agency not BG directly. I worked in UK Aug 2010 - Feb 2011 Now they want me to wrap up some reports that I once worked on and help train their people. The project ends mid-Februrary.
If you are going to be employed by British Gas then strictly speaking you need a work permit. It is possible you might get away with coming as a business visitor but if you are actually employed by them then you ought to have a work permit. The problem under the current rules is that the appropriate category is tier 2 general which is subject to a quota unless your annual remuneration is in excess of £150k . British Gas will have to sponsor you - the rules are to be found here.
Senior Partner and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions