How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a US citizen wanting to work and live in London, UK and

Resolved Question:

I'm a US citizen wanting to work and live in London, UK and remain there full time. What is the fastest, best, XXXXX XXXXX cost effective way to get a UK work Visa? I qualify for a Tier 2 work visa. Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 6 years ago.

The most straightforward route is to apply for a tier 2 visa if you have a job offer in the UK. Alternatively, you may apply for a tier 1 visa if you do not have an employer to sponsor you and meet the higher points requirement. Since you have specifically asked about a Tier 2 visa, I will advise of the requirements for the same. Please click accept on my answer.

Your employer will need to:

Register with the UK Border Agency and obtain a Sponsorship License
Advertise the job in the UK in accordance with the terms of the Resident Labour Market Test (for three months on a national advertising basis through newspapers/magazines or online)

In order to gain entry into the UK under the terms of Tier 2, you
must :

Have an offer of employment from a Licensed Sponsor (employer)

and a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from that employer
Satisfy the Maintenance Requirement for you and each dependent
You will not need to satisfy the English requirement referred to below as a US national.

To qualify for maintenance, you must fulfill one of the following 2 conditions:

You must be able to show personal savings equivalent to £800 at the time the application is made and must have been held for a minimum of three months
Or you must have written confirmation from the sponsor that the sponsor will maintain and accommodate you until the end of the first month of your work in the United Kingdom.

For any dependants (wife and children), the must also show one of the following:

The dependent or the applicant must be able to show personal savings equivalent to £533 at the time the application is made for three months for each dependant
Or you must have written confirmation from the sponsor that the sponsor will, if necessary, maintain and accommodate your dependents during their first month in the United Kingdom.

The amounts of £800 and £533 will need to have been held at all times during the preceding 3 month period and evidenced through the following:

Personal Bank or Building Society statements
Building Society pass book
A letter from a bank, building society or other financial institution which is officially regulated in either the UK or the applicants home country

In all cases the evidence should be original, should clearly relate to the applicant and should bear the issuing institution's name and logo. Statements generated electronically should bear the stamp of the relevant institution on each page.

Satisfy the English Language Requirement
Gain 70 points or more in a Points Test which reflects the above and other factors such as academic qualifications and prospective earnings
Awan-Legal and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Awan,

I do qualify as a Tier 1, as well. This may be the best and easiest way for me to go as far as getting my work Visa.

Can you provide the Tier 1 work visa...steps/protocol?

I'm single and have no this question only applies to me. Thanks.
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 6 years ago.
HiThanks for the accept.If you currently have a Tier 1 (highly skilled migrant) or Tier 1 (post-study worker) visa and wish to extend, you will need to obtain 95 points under the Points Based System (PBS) categories.If you are switching into the Tier 1 (highly skilled migrant) category from another Tier, you will need to obtain 100 points under the Points Based System (PBS).Tier 1 General is closed from 06/04/2011 and will not reopen for initial applications. Therefore the following information concerns rules for extension only.There are generally five categories that points are awarded under PBSAgePoints are awarded according to your age at the time the fee is paid and your biometrics received in the Visa Section of the British mission.QualificationsYou can claim points based on the level of your education/certifications.  These must be equivalent to a UK Bachelors, Masters, PhD or in some cases an MBA.You must send proof of your qualifications. This must be an original document (certificate), issued by the awarding institution on the official headed paper of the institution, clearly showing name; the title of the award; the date of the award; and the name of the awarding institution.Under transitional arrangements, subject to certain criteria, it may be possible to claim 80 points for an MBA.Previous earningsPoints are awarded for previous earnings from work - before deduction of tax - for a period of up to 12 months out of the 15 months preceding the application (unless you have had maternity or adoption leave in this period). Note that only actual earnings will be considered. If you have worked part-time, your earnings will not be increased pro-rata to assess what you might have earned if it was full-time work.For maintenance:If you are applying from within the United Kingdom, the balance must show that you have had at least £800 in your account at all times over the three-month period.You must have the maintenance amount in your account for at least three months before you apply, and be able to send specified documentary evidence that shows the money has been there for three months.
Awan-Legal and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you