How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was under Tier 1 (PSW) and my visa was valid till on 17.04.2011.

Customer Question

I was under Tier 1 (PSW) and my visa was valid till on 17.04.2011. I filed application for Tier 1 (General) on 06.03.2011 and received a refusal on 24.08.2011. Main ground for refusal was they were not able to verify my educational documents from India and I have been given the right to appeal. Appeal was filed on 05.09.2011 and is due for hearing on 24.10.2011. I have been working with my current employer for more than 2 years now and they are A rated sponsor and have free COS they are ready to allocate COS to me. I want to know can I withdraw my current appeal and file a new application for Tier 2 (General) on the same day. My previous visa expired on 17.04.2011 but I am still legal under section 3c
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Do you have a solicitor?


What are their opinions of your prospects for success on appeal?



Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They are not 100% sure about the success of appeal. Therefore I want to withdraw the appeal and file a new application.


Just want to confirm if this is allowed or not as my previous visa is already expired on 17.04.2011 but again the leave to remain is extended under section 3c



Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you can submit a fresh application if you applied earlier before your current visa expired and you appealed within the time permitted under the refusal letter. You just have to be a bit clever about it.

The process is thus:-
1. Prepare new application
2. Fax the IAT confirming that you wish to withdraw your appeal and stating that you are a fresh application to the UKBA
3. Submit new application by registered post on the same day as 2)

It will take a day for the IAT to process but your appeal will be withdrawn and the UKBA will consider your new application. You will have leave to remain until determination of the new application or until determination on appeal.

Obviously though, you should only submit a new application if the prospects of success for it are significantly increased (eg. By the quality of your documentation) compared to your chances of success on appeal for the old application.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?
If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.
Please click accept. I cannot work for free.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
I have answered your question
If you do not click accept I shall consider leaving customer feedback which will result in other experts being reluctant to answer future questions you submit to the board.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Tom,


I am not satisfied with your answer as the UKBA guidelines below state otherwise. I have highlighted text in bold which state otherwise


3.2. Applications lodged during leave under sections 3C and 3D

While either section 3C or 3D leave is in force, the applicant is not entitled to make

any more applications for variation of leave to enter or remain. So even someone

who marries after making an application to remain as a student cannot, while they

have leave under section 3C, make a fresh application on the basis of the marriage.

On the other hand, it is possible to vary the grounds of an application already made,

even by introducing something completely new. A student application can be varied

so as to include marriage grounds. If an application is varied before a decision is

made, the applicant will be required to complete the necessary prescribed form to

vary his application. If an application is varied post decision, it would be open to the applicant to submit further grounds to be considered at appeal. As a result, there may be little difference in practice between a fresh application and a request to vary an existing application. The distinction is made to ensure that all a person's grounds for wishing to remain in the UK result in one decision and thus one appeal. This 'one-stop ' principle - one application, one decision, one appeal - is essential to the

operation of the appeal process that was introduced in the1999 Act and has been

extended by subsequent Acts.


However section 3C makes a clear distinction between the decision on the

application and the appeal against that decision. Once an application has been

decided it ceases to be an application and there is no longer any application to vary

under section 3C (5). So any new information will fall to be dealt with during the

course of the appeal rather than as a variation of the original application.


When section 3D applies leave has been curtailed or revoked. Thus there is no

application for the variation of leave and the question of whether an application can

be varied or not does not arise.



Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
That's fine. It has worked in practice for me and clients but as you are not satisfied I shall contact customer services and request a refund is made to you.