How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a British born Citizen. My Wife is a Brazilian citizen

Resolved Question:

I am a British born Citizen. My Wife is a Brazilian citizen and has a Brazilian passport with Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. ( we have been married for 6 years) My Wifes daughter is 14 years old and finishes her full time schooling in December 2012. My Wife and I both want her to come to the UK as a dependant child. What procedure is required, paperwork visas etc. Where is this done UK or Brazil. What fees are involved.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
who is your step daughter currently living with? Is her father alive and will he agree to her coming to the UK?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes she is living with her Father and yes he will agree to her coming to live with us
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just wondering whether you wish me too remain online for a reply or whether you want me to sign off and wait for email response.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. That is not actually terribly helpful. Generally speaking a child is only admitted if both parents are here unless : one parent is dead, the parent settled here has had sole responsibility for the child upbringing or there are serious reasons that justify allowing the child to settle here

Clearly if your step daughter is living with her father whilst undergoing full time education the only basis she could apply is by showing "serious reasons". That could for example include circumstances at home but as Brasil is not somewhere where she is likely to be persecuted or cannot get an education .

you could apply for her to come here for education but that will not necessarily get her the right to settlement

you can find the rules here:

please come back if I can assist further
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions