How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Currently I am working in the UK under work

Customer Question

Currently I am working in the UK under work permit scheme issued in November 2008 and expires in November 2013. I am still employed with the same employer. I am trying to get a dependent visa for my wife, who lives in Jordan at the moment. The problem is, there is nothing under that category as work permit dependent. Also I can not find all related supporting documents she needs when apply.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : Just to clarify you were granted a work permit visa before November 2008 and not a Tier 2 visa?
Awan-Legal : If so, the Immigration Rules do allow for your wife to join you as follows:
Awan-Legal : 194. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a person with limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) are that:(i) the applicant is married to or a civil partner of a person with limited leave to enter in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K); and(ii) each of the parties intends to live with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner during the applicant's stay and the marriage or civil partnership is subsisting; and(iii) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and(iv) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and(v) the applicant does not intend to stay in the United Kingdom beyond any period of leave granted to his spouse; and(vi) the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
Awan-Legal : The documents that you will need to show therefore are as follows:
Awan-Legal : Your marriage certificate, your passport and work permit copy, evidence to show you have remained in contact with one another whilst you have been in the UK, your mortgage/tenancy agreement (and permission letter from your landlord to confirm she can stay at the property), your three to six month wage slips and your three to six months bank statements, as well as your employment contract if possible.
Awan-Legal : As a general principle, dependants must meet the following requirements in order to qualify for a visa:The dependant must demonstrate the relationship on which the application is based and provide documentary evidence of this relationship; andThe dependant must provide evidence either that the main applicant has enough funds/income to support the dependant or that the dependant has sufficient funds to support themselves, without access to public funds.
Awan-Legal : Do you mean you cannot find the documents themselves or the list of documents requires?
Awan-Legal : I hope the above answer has been helpful. Please click accept and I am happy to answer any follow up questions arising from the above.
JACUSTOMER-eggrscoq- :

Thank you for reply. When applying at the british embassy in jordan, under what category i need yo apply? is it dependent visa tier 2 visa holder? and if the 90 days money rule applies to her

Awan-Legal : Do you have a 'work permit' issued in your passport or a tier 2 visa? If it is a work permit you have issued, then you do not need to worry about the tier 2 requirements although you should still have a good level of income and savings after your expenses such as rent/mortgage and council tax have been paid.
Awan-Legal : If it is a work permit, then she applies as a work permit dependant spouse.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions