How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Knox Your Own Question
John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience:  solicitor with 8 years experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
John Knox is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there,Iam Palastinian Refugee holders of Palsatinian

Customer Question

Hi there,

Iam Palastinian Refugee holders of Palsatinian travel documents issued from lebanon with my wife and kid , currently we are living in Singapore.

Currently we have a valid enrty visa to UK , and we intend to apply for Asylum seeking in UK for the following reasons:

1) am palastinian desendandnt , my father was displaced from 1948 territories which is now known as Israel , i cannot go back to my country of origin .
2) I donot want to live in Lebanon which is not my home country , wherby i cannot practice my basic rights
3) my Baby is 2 years old and he has the right to have a nationality and currently he has no country , he is a refugee.
3) Am afraid going back to lebanon, as last time i was there i was expressing my opinion about the syrian authorities and the torture they do to thier people, i was later got followed on the road by pro Syrians armed , i was dragged out of my car beaten, and threatend to kill my wife and son in case i was heard talking about such crimes of the syrian regimes , i didnt report it to police coz as everyone knows , Lebanon now is ruled by pro syrian government and pro Syrian Hizbo Allah is ruling the country , if i report it am afraid the problem will be worse .

I need to know how can i claim Asylum in Uk , and what possibilities do i have for the sucess and what is the procedure, noting that i have a valid visa entry to Uk along with my wife and kid.

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.

What kind of visa are you, your wife and kid entering the UK with please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We are entering with general visitor visa , entry valid to stay in uk for 6 months. Regards
Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.

Asylum will be given if the Home Office is satisfied that you are a refugee, that you have left your country and are unable to go back because you have a well-founded fear of persecution because of your:

  • race;
  • religion;
  • nationality;
  • political opinion; or
  • membership of a particular social group.
From what you have said, you may qualify on the basis of your political opinion, which you have already expressed and in relation to which you have already been beaten. You should therefore apply on that basis.

Once you arrive in the UK, you should book an appointment to attend the asylum screening unit in Croydon (south of London). If you want your wife and children to be part of your application, you must take them with you.


You should telephone the unit to book an appointment. Here are the details:


Phone: 020 8196 4524 for appointments

Address: Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon CR9 2BY

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 08:00-13:00.

The appointment line is open Monday to Friday 09:00 to 16:45.


When you go to the asylum screening unit, you will need to take with you:

  • your passport, and the passport(s) of your wife and children;
  • police registration certificates, if you or any members of your family have them;
  • other identification documents which help to establish your identity and nationality - these may include identity cards, birth certificates, marriage certificates, school certificates and membership cards;
  • any other documents that will support your application; and
  • documentary evidence of your accommodation - this may include recent bank statements, a building society book, a Council Tax demand, a housing benefit book, a tenancy agreement, and/or a phone/electricity/gas bill showing your full name and address in the UK. If you are living in someone else's house, you must bring a letter (no more than 3 months old) from the householder permitting you to stay, plus documentary evidence (see above) showing the householder's full name and address.

All of the documents listed above must be original documents. Photocopies are not acceptable.


In addition, you must provide 4 unseparated passport-style photographs of you, and 4 unseparated passport-style photographs of your wife and of each of your children. The photographs must be:

  • passport size (approximately 4cm x 5cm);
  • recently taken (within the last few months);
  • of your full face; and
  • with a light background.

You must clearly print the name and date of birth of the person in each photograph on the reverse of that photograph.


If you do not provide these photographs when you make your application at the asylum screening unit, it may take longer to produce the documentation confirming your immigration status (if you are given permission to stay in the UK).

You will have a brief interview at the screening unit and that will be the start of the asylum process. At the interview, you will be given a case owner, who will guide you through the process and make the decision whether you are entitled to asylum in the UK.

Your full interview will take place about a week after the initial interview and you will have to explain in as much detail as possible why you fear being returned to the Lebanon or Palestine. You will need to go into detail about what happened to you when you were there, what you have been doing since then (in Singapore etc) and what would happen to you and your family if you were to return.

I think that, given what is currently happening in the Lebanon, you would have a good chance of being granted asylum. Even if you were not granted asylum, there is a good chance you would be given temporary leave to remain for 6 months, whilst the Home Office reviews the position in Lebanon.

You have to bear something in mind, however. If you apply for asylum and are refused, you will be deported and you will never again be allowed into the UK. That is because the Home Office takes it very seriously when you apply to come here as a visitor but then claim asylum IF YOU ARE NOT genuinely at risk of being persecuted in your home country.

If what you say is genuine then I think you have a good chance and should make the application.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Being palastIan refugee ( stateless) in Lebanon will it be enough for uk government to offer me protection ad my land and home was given to Israel in 1948 by the British mandate and we were forced to leave Palestine and seek refugee I'm Lebanon.
In Lebanon we r given by UNHCR refugee status but we cannot work , we cannot own a home or a car and our children cannot Have the right of having a nationality .

I live in Dubai for 8 years and now u Wang to return they have stopped all visas to palastinian , so how ami supposed to work and live.

Hiw about if me and family arrive uk , shall w claim asylum in airport? Or j follow the adress u have given?
Will theyvput us in prison or detention center? Or we will be okay co we came lawfully to uk with valid visa?

If I have mo means of support for house will we be provided?

Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.
I understand what you are saying.

You have valid visitor visas so you will not be detained in prison or a detention centre as long as you have somewhere to stay when you arrive. If you can at least book accommodation, like a guest house, then you will be able to provide the address when you arrive and you will be fine. Then you can make an appointment in the way I have advised.

Once you claim asylum and your request is being considered, you may be provided for in terms of accommodation. The case owner at the screening unit will help you with that.