How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a self funded student. If I want to change my religion

Resolved Question:

I am a self funded student. If I want to change my religion .I can not come back to my country.because they will kill me.can I be a refugee here? can I continue my study?can i hava all of my exams? I am a doctor.Ihave uk visa for 4 years.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
What is the basis of your visa ? student? What qualifications will you have at the end of 4 years? Clearly you are not a refugee. Are you suggesting you want to claim asylum? Can you explain a little more?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will be a visa is Tier 4.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
when does your visa expire? what do you want to do? Can you provide more detail about your circumstances and why you should be eligible for refugee status or asylum?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I want to remain and live in uk.but after 4 years later there is no guarantee for me to have a visa. so in that time can i apply for being a refugee?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
and why do you think you are entitled to refugee status?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have changed my religious. or may wish to do that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have changed my religion and may wish to do that. the real question is what is the best choice of remaining in uk after 4 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
In order to claim asylum you must have left your home country and be unable to return because of a well founded fear of persecution because of amongst other things your religion.

If you choose to change religion as you put it whilst in this country and then claim asylum it is , in the current climate likely to be seen as a device to obtain permanent residence. you will need to convince the case owner that your conversion to another faith is genuine and that there is a genuine risk to you in your home country. Having said that even if you are not seen as a genuine asylum seeker , you are not likely to be deported to a country where your life could be in danger.

You will find details of how to claim asylum here:
If you are going o graduate with a doctorate from a reputable university you may be able to apply for a tier 1 post study visa and then transition to a long term work visa which enables you to obtain indefinite leave to remain etc without going through an asylum claim
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you