How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an experienced academic (Russian national) who is accepting

Customer Question

I am an experienced academic (Russian national) who is accepting a 2-year research appointment at the University of London. For my visa application I am using Tier 2, General track. The guidelines stipulate that I have to pass an English language test in order to score 10 points for language, since I am outside UK and my degree is not from an English-speaking university.

I have taught in English at a major American university in USA and published extensively in that language. Do I still have to pass the English-language test? Thanks in advance!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : Do you have a degree that is equivalent or above an English UK Bachelors degree? If so, you will not need to do a separate English test. If not, unfortunately you will need to do it as it is a requirement for the visa. I will list the requirements as follows.
Awan-Legal : (a) The applicant has the level of English shown in the table below and:(i) provides an original English language test certificate from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which is within its validity period and clearly shows:(1) the applicant's name,(2) the qualification obtained, which must meet or exceed the level that the Secretary of State specifies in the guidance as being required to meet the standard laid down in the table below in all four components (reading, writing, speaking and listening), and:(3) the date of the award, or(ii) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor?s degree in the UK, and(1) provides the specified evidence to show he has the qualification, and(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English to level C1 of the Council of Europe?s Common European Framework for Language learning or above
JACUSTOMER-zuq02dux- :


Awan-Legal : You can check whether your qualifications meet the UK bachelors degree as follows:
Awan-Legal : Individuals needing information about qualifications comparisons can contact us on:t: +44 (0)871 330 7033f: +44 (0)871 330 7005 Calls cost 10p per minute from a BT landline. Mobile providers and other networks may vary.Office hours: Monday to Friday, 09.00 - 17.00 (UK time)
JACUSTOMER-zuq02dux- :

I do have a Ph.D. which has been certified as equivalent to the American Ph.D. Would that work?

JACUSTOMER-zuq02dux- :

The certificate of equivalence is with me, although it is 6 years old

Awan-Legal : You can find the list of test providers by following this link:
Awan-Legal :
JACUSTOMER-zuq02dux- :

Many thanks. But is my Ph.D. is sufficient for waiving the test? It is certainly above bachelor level

Awan-Legal : Hopefully it should do but you will still need to confirm with UK naric as above.
JACUSTOMER-zuq02dux- :

Just to understand it better: what is crucial here - the level of degree (it is Ph.D.) or its language equivalent (it was not taught in English)?

Awan-Legal :

Hi there

Awan-Legal :

Sorry for my delayed response, the level of the degree itself will be important and not which language it was in. You should still confirm with UK Naric though as this is one of the requirements along with the Certificate. Also, the PHD Certificate should be translated into English if it is in another language (the original Certificate and original English translation will both have to be submitted).

Awan-Legal :

I hope that answers your question but please do let me know if there is anything else. In the meantime, please click accept. Thanks and kind regards.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions