How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i met and fell in love with a boy who is illegal in

Resolved Question:

i met and fell in love with a boy who is illegal in the uk can we get married in the uk
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. What nationality are you
2. If you are not UK then please state your immigration status in the UK
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am a british citizen my boyfriend is of mauritian origin with a mauritian passport , the home office tried to deport him but he went into hiding .
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

There are no restrictions in law on you marrying a person without legal leave to remain in the UK even thought he has overstayed or entered the country illegally. You will simply need to prove your identity and address, then give the appropriate notice of marriage at the registry office where you intend to marry.

Ultimately, it is at the discretion of each individual registrar at the registry office you select but most are fairly understanding and you will certainly be able to find one if your local registrar is not accommodating.

If he does not have any serious health conditions or UK citizens children who shall remain in the UK then he will have to leave the country in order to apply for a spouses visa (settlement), because the UKBA only consider in country applications made by persons without leave to remain in exceptional circumstances only.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with specific guidance on making a spouse visa application (eligibility criteria, documentation etc) then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions