How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question please.Before i arrived in England i had

Customer Question

I have a question please.Before i arrived in England i had my fiancee call to tell them i was arriving.They had my information.Yet when i got off of the plane in bristol there was nobody there.I looked and walked aorund and nobody was there.So i came in to England.I have my mothers birth certificate showing she is english by birth and her mother.I have no stamp on my passport and yet I am english according to the laws i have read.What do i do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.
What nationality passport do you hold? When were you born and what was your father's nationality?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am an american and i never really wanted to be.My father is american.I was born in 1975.
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.
In order to claim nationality on the basis of your mother, you will need to submit form UKM to the Home Office

You will need to show that you are the descendant of a British Citizen otherwise than by descent (ie, she was British in her own right and not by virtue of someone else). Your birth certificate and your mother's birth certificate showing you are her daughter and that she was born in the UK should suffice. If you have your grandparents birth certificates showing they were born in the UK then send these too.

You need to send this along with the completed application and the fee of £80 to the Home Office and you will hopefully be able to registered as a British Citizen by descent. You will not be able to pass on your citizenship to your children as you obtained your citizenship by virtue of someone else (your mother's citizenship) rather than being born in the UK and therefore being entitled to it in your own right.

Please see these guidance notes from the UKBA for further information: