How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7610
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, my solicitor. submitted my application for settlement yesterday

Customer Question

hi, my solicitor. submitted my application for settlement yesterday but paid only £550 instead of £972. Please how can i go about this?, any number to call?, she is writting them with an additional £422 today. please advice thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

What is your solicitor's explanation for this?

When does your current leave to remain expire?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she said it was a mistake, my leave expires next friday and i have just tracked the mail its been delivered this morning.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Right. That's put you in a difficult position and your solicitor should be quite concerned.

The UKBA would in these circumstances see that the correct cheque has not been submitted and simply send all of the documents and the check back to you. They would not keep the fee, the whole thing would be rejected out of hand.

The problem is that your leave to remain expires next Friday. So if they whole thing does not come back in time then you will no longer technically have leave to remain, which is a general ground of refusal so the UKBA would be permitted to reject the application again and, technically, ask you to leave the country to make a further application from your home country.

If the cheque gets there before they send the application back then you will probably (probably) be okay. If it doesn't then you are going to have to hope it is returned promptly enough in order for you to send your application with the correct cheque by the time you leave expires.

If your leave to remain expires then you will certainly have grounds for a complaint against your solicitor and you should certainly put this to them.

If your settlement is on the basis of a marriage to a UK national then the UKBA are more flexible than they are for settlement applications on the basis of workers visas.

It may be that you can come to an arrangement with your solicitor in the event of a refusal to get them to act on appeal at a highly reduced rate.

Sorry it could not be better news. Your solicitor has let you down I'm afraid but it may work out okay - you will just have to wait and see.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks i will accept the answer.. who do i complain to pls


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I would wait and see what happens before formally complaining, but put your solicitor on notice that you shall submit a complaints to their complaints department if the matter does not resolves itself in your favour in the coming week.

You have to complain in the first instance to the solicitors. They will tell you where you can further complain to after that if you are not satisfied after having exhausted their internal complaints process (which all solicitors must have).

I wish you the best of luck.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions