How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am English with a British Passport. My wife is a Sri Lankan

This answer was rated:

I am English with a British Passport. My wife is a Sri Lankan national and hold a Sri Lankan Passport. She has Leave to Remain in the UK as my wife, shortly to be extended for a further 10 years. If we wish to travel to any European country for a holiday does she need additional visa when travelling with me?

Thanks for your question.

Yes. I’m afraid so. Even if a foreign national holds leave to remain in the UK or even indefinite leave to remain, it does not mean that they gain the rights of EEA national (as Britain i) or benefit from the visa-waiver programs in place with other countries for the benefit of UK nationals.
From a foreign travel point of view, she remains a Sri Lankan Citizen and would therefore be subject to the same visa requirements as any other Sri Lankan national. So, you would have to check with the individual country’s visa issuing authority as to whether she would require a visa to travel there as a Sri Lankan citizen.

If your wife wishes to gain EEA/UK citizen rights of travel she must apply for and obtain naturalisation. I can offer you further advice if you wish to submit a further question to the board either requesting me via my profile or by marking the further question “FAO Tom”.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this request is covering your unread answer

Related UK Immigration Law Questions