How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in Rhodesia in 1969, now live in the USA with a

Resolved Question:

I was born in Rhodesia in 1969, now live in the USA with a US passport, but wanted to get a British passport. Do I qualify?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Can you provide a bit more background. Have you ever held a British passport? What nationality were you parents?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I have never held a British passport and my mother was Rhodesian and father was South African.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Thanks I am afraid you do not appear to be eligible for a British Passport. Essentially Citizens of the UK and Colonies were made subject to immigration control in 1971 unless they had the right of abode here - which would be because either they lived in the uk or were citizens because their parents were born here. In 1981 the status of citizen of UK and colonies was abolished and replaced by different categories of British citizenship. Full British citizenship was only given to those who had the right of abode. The result of all that is that because neither of your parents were UK citizens you did not acquire the right of abode and therefore you do not have a right to British Citizenship and hence to a British Passport. Sorry but there it is.
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you