How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sir, I submitted my passport for a dependant application December

Resolved Question:

Sir, I submitted my passport for a dependant application December 2008 but the application was refused in February this year. I have Dannis girl friend that works here at a care home, we want to get married but we are told to bring my original passport despite showing them the certified copy of the passport. Pls what can i do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. What nationality are you
2. Where are you
3. Was your dependent application based on the relationship with the same Danish girl you wish to marry
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. Nigerian

2. Here in Beckton London

3. No it was with my cousin who is a German



Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tunji,

When you received confirmation from the UKBA that your previous application was rejected, did they return any of the supporting documents you submitted with the application?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All the supporting documents were returned back to me with the exception of my passport. This was also returned back to me the first time it was the application was rejected due to a photocopy birth certificate submitted by my dependant.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tunji,

Were you legally in the country at the time you made the application?

Are you legal in the UK now??

Kind regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was legally in the country when I made the application. Date of my last entry into the UK was September 6th 2008. But I cannot tell if I am still legally in the country since February this year that the case was decided.


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Did the letter you received from the UKBA when they rejected your application say anything about retaining your passport because you are here illegally?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tunji,

Thanks for your reply.

Usually the UKBA would return a passport with the other documents when they reject an application. The only circumstances where they do not are when:-
1. They forget to, or
2. They retain the passport because the person is here illegally.

In all probability I regret to say that they have probably retained your passport because you do not have legal leave to remain in this country. They should have told you they were doing this and explained what actions you were required to take with regard to leaving the country.
The difficult is that you would have to write to the UKBA to request that your passport is returned, but if you do this then they will check and be reminded that you are here illegally. This will probably mean that they will take actions to effect your removal from the country, so you may in effect tip them off to your illegality here and inadvertently prompt your removal.
You are correct in that you will not be able to marry without proving your identity.
You may instead choose to speak with someone at the Nigerian Embassy. They are able to process replacement passports when a person has lost their passport in the UK, but there is a fair amount of checking and administrative legwork to carry out in order to verify your identity back home. I should not think they would issue a new passport if they are aware that your current passport is retained by the UKBA because they would essentially be assisting you in subverting the immigration rules here. It may be worth a go, though I would not get your hopes up.

The reality is that you are probably going to have to write to the UKBA to request your passport back. You will have to refer to the reference and caseworker you had for your previous application so that they can identify where the passport is. You would have to hope that their checks do not reveal that you are illegal and they make an oversight and return the passport to you.

if they do then it’s problem solved. If they don’t and issue you with a notice to remove yourself from the country then you should go at your own cost, if you don’t you may receive a ban from re-entering for a period of time.

If you are asked to leave the country then you should see a local immigration solicitor (if you haven’t already) and ask them to draft a fiancé visa application (settlement) so that you have this reading to submit when you return to your home country.

I am sorry it could not be better news.-
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions