How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have live in the UK for 10 years lawfully, I am going to

This answer was rated:

I have live in the UK for 10 years lawfully, I am going to apply the Indefinite Leave to Remain (aka the Permanent Residence) in this month according to the 10 year lawful scheme. I have a problem that, I am currently still with my Tier 4 Student VISA, and I just gain this VISA recently after a long period appealing. during the appealing period, my current Tier 4 sponsor has got their own Tier 4 sponsorship number (they used to cooperate with another college before they got their own number, and they share the same number until they separated ). That means my record in home-office is still with the old sponsor.

So. do I have to report to the home office about my Tier 4 sponsor change first, then apply for my PR after the home office sent me the feedback. Or should I just do it by the same time of my application of PR, or event just leave it. I am looking forward to hear from you. thank you!!

BTW, I am looking for a solicitor in Birmingham area who have experience in Tier4 and settlement area to help with my case.

I'm a little con.fused. Are you saying that you have recently switched colleges where you have been studying?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,

Actually, I haven't switched colleges since the beginning, in other word, I still study in the same college, but they have different sponsorship number in the home office. They used to share the sponsorship number with an other college, that is the one I apply my current visa at the first place. and then they have got their own number, and I am still studying with them until now. So, at the home office point of view, I might switch to a different college, but in fact, I did not.

Thank you,
Kind Regards

Hi W.Zhao,

The college has not changed names during the course of the change of sponsorship number, correct?

What is the college's explanation of this?

When did the sponsorship number actually change?

When did you find out about the change?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,

Yes, they haven't changed names.

they said, if your visa is not expiring, then you sill not need to apply a new one, so they just tell us don't worry about it.

Aug/2010. and I knew it since that time, I was enrolling, and then I found that my sponsor has changed.

what I am worry about is, I just grand my visa in June this year, am I already late to report? if I fail to report my sponsor change to the home-office in time, will they cancel my current visa, or cause any problem in my application of Indefinite Leave to Remain. Thanks you!

Kind Regards,

Hi W.Zhao,

You state " ..I just grand my visa in June this year" - do you meant that you were granted a new Tier 4 visa or extended your old Tier 4 visa.

If this is the case were you granted the visa on the basis of the old number?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,
that is a new tier4 visa. I was in PSW visa before that.

kind regard

Thanks for your reply.

I’m not completely clear on the chronology of the application but if your college has split in to two with one maintaining the old number and the new college getting a new number which is where you are now studying then you must inform the UKBA of this:-

See “If Your Circumstances Change” in the above window. Your duty is to keep the UKBA abreast of any changes in your personal circumstances, course or college. Your college has most likely updated them in any event so it should be fine but you should ensure that your personal duty is discharged by writing to them clarifying the position in a formal letter sent by registered post.

Provided you do this, it is very unlikely that you will be regarded by the UKBA as having breached the conditions of your visa and on that basis will no affect your entitlement to apply for ILR under the long residence rules.

You will have to use the Law Society website to find a solicitor in your area:-
Ask for a free initial consultation with a few, attend and then pick the solicitor you are most confident with.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,
thanks a lot. just one more question, but I will press the button anyway. do I need any thing from my current sponsor and sent to the UKBA?

kind regards.