How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello plz help my husband and i want to make a spouse visa

Customer Question

hello plz help my husband and i want to make a spouse visa application form pakistan i am a british citizen and he is currently in pakistan i wanted advice as to what supporting documents i need to send. also will i need a sponsorship form or any other forms will i need to go and get the papers stamped from a immagration solicitor or do i just send the supporting documents to my husband plz help thank you  also coulds you please give me some infor mation as to what needs to be put in a supporting letter to the immagration thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.




Thanks for your question.


He will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement)



If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it may make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-


  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive.


He will also have to pass and English language test showing he has a basic command of spoken and listening English. You can contact the UKBA for details of test centres in his area.


He will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. There are guidance notes on the website which state what documents you need to provide. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your husband before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.



You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-


The visa will be granted for a period of 27 months. You husband can apply for indefinite leave to remain once he has been here for 24 months. 12 months later he can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided he has not spent a lot of time outside the UK during the 36 months total.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi thanks for this information but i need to no we have a agent in pakistan who will be filling in the VA form and submitting the documents so do i need to go to a solicitor in the u.k to get the paers stamped or testified or do i just send them to the agent in pakistan also the proerty is my mothers where we will be staying i have got a land registry and can get a letter from my mother will this do or will we need a sponsordhip form from my mother plwase specify thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You will need to send a copy of your passport and proof of address certified by a UK solicitor, they will be able to certify copies for around £7.

The other documentation you can simply send to them (eg. bank statements, payslips etc) and they will submit it.

If you are submitting statements made by you to assist in sponsoring then these will have to be drafted as statutory declarations and sworn before a UK solicitor before sending to your spouse.

Your mother should ask you agent to draft a Statutory Declaration for her to execute. This is a sworn statement in which she shall say that you and your wife may stay at her house free of charge for a certain length of time. This, again, would have to be sworn by your mother before a solicitor in the UK for, approx, £7.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?
If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.
Please click accept.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I have answered your question

If you do not click accept I shall consider leaving customer feedback which will result in other experts being reluctant to answer future questions you submit to the board.

It does not cost you any more money to click accept, it just means I get rewarded for the time I have taken to answer your question (which is considerable)



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi my answer still seems unanswered as the wife who is a uk citixen will i need to send a sponsorship form or will the sworn aferdaviths be okay
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
You will need to execute a statement supporting the application, explaining how your husband meets the eligiblity criteria and referring to all the supporting documentation submitted with the applicaiton.

This must be drafted as a Statutory Declaration and then sworn before a UK solicitor.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,