How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have student tier 4 visa and in united kingdom and living

Customer Question

i have student tier 4 visa and in united kingdom and living here from three years . now i want to marry my girlfriend she is british national. my student visa will expire on 24 January 2012 . can i go for marriage or do i fulfill criteria. if not then suggest me any alternative.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Does she have a job?

Where would you live together?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes she is doing job in garage bp in bp and we are living together in her own flat in london
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

You will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement). You will have to switch in to this category from your present one, you can do this provided you are not in breach of the conditions attached to your present visa.

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it may make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
• 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)
The key to showing that you meet the maintenance criteria is showing that between you have enough income/assets that you will be able to pay for your accommodation and living expenses without having to access public funds (this is prohibited). Here is the UKBA webpage on the documents required:-

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive.

You will also have to pass and English language test showing you have a basic command of spoken and listening English. You can contact the UKBA for details of test centres in your area.

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form FLR(M) Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both of you before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

The visa will be granted for a period of 27 months. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain once you have been here for 24 months. 12 months later you can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided he has not spent a lot of time outside the UK during the 36 months total.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?
If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.
Please click accept.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I have answered your question

If you do not click accept I shall consider leaving customer feedback which will result in other experts being reluctant to answer future questions you submit to the board.

It does not cost you any more money to click accept, it just means I get rewarded for the time I have taken to answer your question (which is considerable)