How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I dont currently have a job offer, but am interested in relocating

Resolved Question:

I don't currently have a job offer, but am interested in relocating from the US to Britain and working. What steps do I have to take and how long will the process take?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Do you have particular specialist skills or do you have a substantial amount of money to invest? What is your background and skill set? Do you have any particular uk connection?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a BS degree in mathematics. I've spent the last 10 years working for an insurance company in the claims department, mostly as a claims supervisor. Prior to that I managed a fast food restaurant for 9 years.

I have strong analytical skills and am good at getting a team to a result. My current employer's parent company has offices througout Europe, including several in the UK. I would likely attempt employment with this company, but have not so far.

I can have around 30-40 k in funds to get there and get a life started there

I have no immediate family in the UK; the family has a rumor of being related to Mary Queen of Scots, and I've been interested going to the UK for quite some time.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks for the additional information. I am afraid based upon that you will need to find a job here with a company that is prepared to sponsor you. The UK has recently tightened its rules quite considerably and unless you can invest £200,000 in a business or have world leading skills it is not possible to obtain permission to come here and seek work. This category of visa is now closed.

Based on what you say the only category you would be eligible for would be "skilled worker" and that require a job offer from a sponsoring employer. Your best bet therefore would be to try and obtain inter company transfer. Athough I have to say - as you will doubtless be aware- that the UK is a leading insurance centre and there is not shortage of skilled claims staff.

You will find the rules about coming to work in the uk on the UKBA website here:

Please feel free come back with follow up questions

Senior Partner and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions