Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

can a mexican citizen move to the uk alone what would they

Customer Question

can a mexican citizen move to the uk alone what would they need to do. What would happen if they were to marry
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If the Mexican person:-

• 1. Is not married/in a relationship with a UK national, European Economic Area member state national or other foreign national who already holds Indefinite leave to remain in the UK, OR
  • 2. Does not have access to £50, 000.00 for the purpose of investment in UK business, or
  • 3. Does not have any UK ancestry. Or
  • 4. Does not intend to come here to be a student, or

Then the only possibility of their coming here to work is to apply for a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker's visa. Immigration is very restricted at the moment I'm afraid.

As to a Tier 2 application you will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/workingintheuk/shortageoccupationlist.pdf

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier2/general/sponsorship/

If your job is not on that list then your employer/sponsor will have to confirm that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that there are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role.

If you find an employer willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier2/general/eligibility/pointsassessment/pointsscore/#header3

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier2/general/

Once you are on your Tier 2 visa you will have to work in the UK for 5 years without leaving very often before you can apply for indefinite leave to remain. Once you have this you can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen.

If the Mexican person was to marry a UK national or person with indefinite leave to remain then they could apply to switch from their Tier 2 visa to a spouses visa (settlement). They would hold this for two years and then they could apply for indefinite leave to remain so they could stay here permanently. 12 months after receiving this they could apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen.

If the Mexican married a EEA member state national then they could apply for a residence card valid for 5 years. At the end of this they could apply for Permanent residence so they could stay here permanently.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what would be the case if the intention was to marry but re locate back to the uk. so the maxican citizen marry the uk citizen
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Do you mean; "Would I be able to move to the UK if I married a UK national in Mexico without going to the UK first".

If this is what you mean, then the position would be more beneficial but this would be a separate question. I fyou wish for my to answer please submit a further question to the board, marking it "FAO Tom" and I shall answer.

Thanks for your accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also what if it was same sex marriage
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.