How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK national. My girlfriend is a Chinese National

Customer Question

I am a UK national.

My girlfriend is a Chinese National who is working in the UK and she is now pregnant.

Due to circumstances we do not wish to marry at the moment. If the baby is born in the UK will he have UK citizenship as I am a UK national?

Thank you in advance for helping us
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Are you British by birth? Ie. born here to UK citizen parents
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes I am British by birth, born in Bristol and British for many generations. I hold a UK passport.



Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, under the British Nationality Act 1981 if the child is born in the UK and either of the child’s parents are a British Citizen then this means you will be able to register the child as a British Citizen otherwise than by descent.

This means that the child will retain full rights of citizenship in the same way you do, will be able to apply for a UK passport and will also be able to pass on their UK citizenship to any of the child’s future children even if those children are born outside the UK.

The baby will be British by birth and you can register them as such, it does not make a difference that his mother is a non-UK/EEA member state national. Nothing to worry about!
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your help


That is exactly what I wanted to know

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome.

If you require any advice with regard to your partner's immigration status in this country please just request me or mark your question. "FAO Tom"