How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name isXXXXX D of B 21/12/1949 I was born

This answer was rated:

My name isXXXXX D of B 21/12/1949 I was born in Rhodesia,my parents(now deceased) returned to England in 1950 i have lived here ever since,i have no birth certificate and cannot get a duplcate. How do i get a passport?


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-

  • 1. Where were your parents born
  • 2. What nationality were your parents
  • 3. Have you ever held a passport and if so which country was it issued by
  • 4. Why can you not obtain a duplicate

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Father was born in Carlyle,mother southern Ireland.



My birth certificate was never registered at the British High Commission in Rhodesia so i find it impossible to get a copy.

Kind Regards



Were your parents married at the time of your birth?

Do you have any proof of your birth at all?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom,


1. Yes


No apart from school or medical from4 years of age to date(if i can still them)


I was married in London in 1974 .Devoriced 1980/1


No contact since


I have two brothers born in London







Hi Alick,

I note your parents are deceased. Is there any other person (eg. close family) who was present at the time of your birth and can speak of their specific knowledge of your birth?

Did your brother/sister have a birth certificate? How did their position differ from yours?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom,


No to the 1st.


Both my brothers have birth certificates, they were born at the UCH Hospital,Gower st,London.


Many Thanks




Do you hold a passport for any nationality?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.









Thanks for your reply.

You do qualify to be registered as a British Citizen by descent from your father and this means you are , in principle, able to apply for a British Passport.

The difficult is that in order to apply for a British passport you have to show that you qualify this by virtue of your birth. Normally, this would be by way of producing the birth certificate to the passport authority together with those of your parents to show your parentage. They would then be able to see that you are entitled to citizenship/passport.

As you do not have this you are going to have to execute a statutory declaration with a local solicitor to explain why you do not have a passport, why you do not have/cannot get your birth certificate and to cross-reference this to your parent’s Birth Certificates in order to. You should also state that your brothers/sister hold UK passport.

This can be supported by stat decs executed by your brothers/sisters corroborating your situation. A local solicitor will be able to do this for you and I should think it essential given your particular circumstances because the UKBA/Passport authority will need to be convinced of your situation.

If you do this you should be able to get your passport, though you may be invited for interview to verify your stat dec.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions