How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My finance is Hungarian national with dual nationality (New

Resolved Question:

My finance is Hungarian national with dual nationality (New Zealand). She has been in the UK since 26 June 2006 working for Transport for London with payslips inc NI number etc. from May 2006 and is a house owner here with mortgage. However, she has only worked on EU workers registration since 20 June 2007. We are planning to get married later this year and I wanted to know when she would be eligible for a UK passport. Woukd she be eligible under 3 years residency and married? This is because I live and work in Saudi Arabia and I want her to have same UK rights if she wants to relocate to Saudi with me. Thank you. Paul Glover
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Paul



Thanks for your question.


As an EEA national your wife has the right to work and live in the UK in any event, she does not require a status as the spouse of a UK national in order to work here obviously so her stay is based purely on EEA rights. This means that she will not be able to avail herself of the 3 year requirement afford to spouses of UK national (even if she were non-eea and on a spouses visa she would still have to wait a further 3 years once you are married before applying).


In order to naturalise as a UK citizen she needs to apply for Permanent Residence and then naturalisation thereafter. Once you have both completed 5 years in the UKexercising EEA treaty rights without being outside the UK for more than 90 days in any 12 month period then you can apply for permanent residence to confirm your right to permanently remain in the UK. 12 months after receiving PR you will both be able to apply for UK citizenship.


She will have to apply for Permanent Residence using the UKBA's form EEA3, the form and supporting information is available on this link:-


12 months after receiving PR she will be able to apply for UK citizenship provided you meet the eligibility requirements on the following page:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a UK citizen born in 1966, just an ex-XXXXX XXXXXving/working in KSA - I think this changes things?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Paul


No, not at all I'm afraid - her present leave to remain stems from her status as a national of an EEA member state. It is therefore quickest for her to naturalise on this basis,


Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you