How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hey,, in october this year, i will be 14 years in this country.

Resolved Question:

hey,, in october this year, i will be 14 years in this country. i had a solicitor in 2008 ,, i had 11 years that time, because ,he promise me that i have the case. but home office refused, we apply again, they refused second time.. my question is, if i apply in october, on the ground of 14 years rule, will the refusal bite my chance to regulise my statue... thank-you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for you question.

Have you had leave to remain in the UK during the whole of the 14 years OR are you illegal?

On what basis did the solicitor say you had a human rights argument to stay?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

im illegal.


my solicitor gave me hope that i had a chance on the base of human right, article 8. i have all the copies of correspondence, between me and the firm

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


What family do you have in the UK and what is their immigration status?


Do you have documentary evidence of your time in this country?


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes, i have. i've bee to college begining of 1998. because i come to uk october 1997.


i have 2 brothers, both british cetizen. nephews and nieces.i have no record . also i have


letters from pple i know,,some payslips--bank statments---


i lost my dad back home, in september 2008. i have Death certificat, all with my solicitor right now.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


I cannot see that you had a particularly strong Article 8 argument in order for you to make an application before the 14 years residence requirement - these arguments are usually based upon you having either a wife or partner or children who either have ILR, UK citizenship or EEA member state cititzenship


IN any event your previous application will not prejudice your new application based upon 14 year residence unless your previous application contained anything which the UKBA viewed as potentially deceptive. You must make sure that your new application does not contain any thing which contradicts or conflicts with your previous application. If it doesn't and you are able to prove the length of your stay here without leave to remain then you will be granted ILR.


I would suggest that you ask for your file from your solicitors and take this to a new firm you instruct after having met the new solicitor and felt comfortable with them. You can find solicitors via:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions