How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i have an indefinate leave to remain ILR. can i take an

Resolved Question:

if i have an indefinate leave to remain ILR. can i take an employment oversees and can my children study abroad.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-

  • 1. How often would you be abroad on employment, what are the terms offered
  • 2. Would any of your close family remain in the UK
  • 3. Are you to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen before you go

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. most of the year. i will be working for the main office in dubai but i will spend all holidays in the U.K.

2. yes

3. no

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question


If you spend more than 2 years outside the UK your ILR will certainly be revoked. However, you could apply for a Returning Residents visa if you can show strong family ties in the UK so that you can re-enter

Up to the end of that two year period the UKBA has a discretionary power to revoke your ILR. This generally is only exercise if a person spends between 3-6 months or over outside the UK in any one period, but provided you can show that your permanent life remains in the UK then they will usually not exercise their power to revoke

Provided you come back to the UK every three months you should be fine in this regard. Regarding your children studying abroad you would have to check with each individual country in which they are to study. If your children are minors then their status in the UK stems from you, so if you are fine then so are they


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions