How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im English and I want to marry my partner and she is Lithuanian.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm English and I want to marry my partner and she is Lithuanian. After we are married for her to become British or to get a UK passport what does she need to do. There are web sites run by the gov. that explain but I think they deliberately make them difficult to understand.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-

  • 1. Where do you propose to marry

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,

We live in England and hope to marry in Gibraltar as the paper work is much easier, then to return to live in England.


Hi Andy,

How long has she been in England exercising EEA rights?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
8 years

Hi Andy.



Thanks for your reply.


In order to apply for naturalisation she must first apply for Permanent Residence as a UK citizen.


Once you have both completed 5 years in the UK without being outside the UK for more than 90 days in any 12 month period then you can both apply for permanent residence to confirm your right to permanently remain in the UK. 12 months after receiving PR you will both be able to apply for UK citizenship:-


She should apply using form EEA3 and can do this now if she meets the aforementioned time criteria.


Once she has this she will be eligible to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen 12 months after the date she receives PR provided she meets the criteria on the following page:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nd to do this it costs about £900? We cant afford that


The fees are the fees, there is not a great deal you can do about this unfortunately. The government won't fund non-UK nationals to naturalise as British I'm afraid.

Sorry it could not be better news.


Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you