How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

Hello, i am on spouse visa and my wife a british and i apply for ILR and it was refused due to i don't declare my motor traffic offence is a conviction which i dont know and i am banned from drining for 3years. so i was told my d HO to withdraw or they will refused my application. can i appeal fresh and declare everything and would i been granted my ILR?

When was the conviction please?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The conviction was june 2009 which was banned for a year and March 2011 3years banned.



Did you also receive a fine as part of the sentence?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I received a fine.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m afraid that there is a “good character” requirement for persons wishing to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Part of the criteria for this is that the Applicant should not have any unspent convictions at the time they make there application:-

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 governs when an offence becomes spent in the base of a driving ban and fine this will be 5 years from the date of conviction (assuming you were 18 years of age when you were convicted.

This means that the UKBA will be permitted to refuse any application for ILR that you make until 5 years from the date of the conviction. They reject your application almost certainly I would say, I have not seen a case where they have not unfortunately.

Therefore, if you visa is to expire you would apply for Further Leave to Remain as a opposed to Indefinite Leave to Remain. In this case it will not be as much of an issue.

I am very sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pls what type of extension would i apply for?



You will need to apply for Further Leave to Remain as the spouse of a UK national. The form I think you will need is FLR(M), it is on this link but you should carefully read the guidance:-


Trust this clarifies, please click accept..


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you