How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hiya want to know how i can go about applying my indefinite

Customer Question

hiya want to know how i can go about applying my indefinite leave to remain in the uk through domestic violence rules?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Have you been physically abused
  • 2. When did this happen
  • 3. Did you report the matter to the police

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes i was physically abuse so many times

and yes police were involve and aware .

last year since it happen but still been in that no help situation and is frustrating me .

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


The requirement are that you must have been given permission to remain in the UK as the spouse of a UK citizen, that marriage was genuine and you were the victim of domestic violence at the hands of your spouse and that this caused your relationship to break down so that you are no longer together.


You would have to apply using Form SET (DV), which is available for download from the UKBA website. The application fee for this is £820..00, if you are destitute then you do not need to pay this fee but you would have to show that you do not have any money and are in fact reliant completely on a third party to pay you living expenses.


The application would have to be supported by documentary evidence showing that you meet the requirement in the first paragraph above. The following is a list of examples of appropriate supporting documentation given by the UKBA but you may have other evidence and would also prepare a statement in which you explain the details of your personal circumstances and incidents of violence:-


A letter or other document showing that a Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC) has been convened on your behalf


A Non-Molestation Order or other protection order against the person(s) who committed the violence.


o This must be a final order, not an interim or ex-parte order



A medical report from a hospital doctor or GMC registered family practitioner (GP) who has examined you confirming that your injuries are consistent with being a victim of domestic violence.


o The report must include the doctor's GMC Registration Number and must provide the date you first registered, the dates of your visits in which domestic violence was reported, and an extract from the record of these details.


An undertaking given to a court that the person(s) who committed the violence will not approach you.


A police report confirming that, because of a domestic violence incident, they attended the address at which the incident(s) took place.


o A copy of the incident log must be provided. It must show the address(es) at which the incident(s) took place.


A letter from a social services department confirming its involvement in connection with domestic violence committed against you.


A letter of support or a report from a domestic violence support organisation/refuge.


Other documentary evidence showing that you have been the victim of domestic violence


You will have to explain why there is a time lag between the last incident of violence and the actual application (eg. Fear, not knowing the rules etc).


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks and wanna know if i need a solicitor to help me with this process or i can only do it through uk ba ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

It is not a prerequisite for a solicitor to prepare the application, they will consider an application you make yourself but, that being said, your chances of receiving an approval are drastically increased by having a solicitor prepare it because they know the best way to lay out the application to prove your eligiblity.

Thanks for your kind accept.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions