How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on a work visa living in London just under 5 years with

Resolved Question:

I am on a work visa living in London just under 5 years with my wife and 3 year old daughter. Are we able to get permanent right to remain? Can we apply for UK citizenship? We are all Canadian and my grandparents on my father's side were both UK citizens.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Have you had any gaps in the you legal leave to remain in the UK?

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.




Thanks for your question.


Provided you have not spent more than 180 days outside the UK and no more than 90 days outside the UK during the 5 year period then you are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.


You must not have any unspent conviction, have observed the conditions of your visa, and are able to prove that you can accommodate/support yourselves.


Once you have held ILR for 12 months you can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen provided you meet the criteria on the following page:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank Tom,

Just a clarification. I do not understand the 180 and 90 days. Which is it, given we have lived here 5 years. Are you saying that over the 5 years, counting all days of work and holiday that I cannot have been away more than 90 nights or is it 180?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.




You may not have been outside the UK for a total of 180 during the 5 year period.




You must not have been outside the UK for more than 90 days in any one trip outisde the UK.


Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regrads,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you