How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7612
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a friend has been in the country for 5 years 4 mouths,she arrived

Resolved Question:

a friend has been in the country for 5 years 4 mouths,she arrived in 2006 on a 4 years re visit visa.shes scared to go back to her country thailand as to the politcal unrest there?as she was in thailand when everything was happening there?she wants to ask for political asylum here in the uk,shes being looked after by her family so doesnt work would she be able to ask for legel aid?if she had to pay what approx would be the amount to pay?thank you jim
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your question.

Legal aid is available only to foreign nationals who hold indefinite leave to remain or British citizens, so it would not be available for her.

Asylum cases are quite hard to predict because each case is judged on it’s merits. There would certainly be questions over why she has only applied for asylum now, for instance.

Because of the long nature of asylum cases solicitors are reluctant to do them for fixed fees, as they are extremely difficult to estimate at the outset. Fees would range between £1, 200.00 - £3,5000.00 depending on the complexity of the case.

If he case is appealing there may be charitable organisations who are willing to contribute to her legal fees.

Is she in a relationship with a UK citizen or foreign national with ILR?

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she is in a relationship with a uk citizen , would you be able to take my case on i would be willing to open a direct debit account?thank you jim
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I'm afraid not, this is a general advice forum. Private contact is prohibited by the conditions of use for the site.

If you wish to submit a further question to the board I can advise on her position as to seeking leave to remain her on the basis of that relationship.

If you wish to do this just use the "Request" functionality or mark the quesiton "FAO Tom".

Thanks for your accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions