How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am opening an Egyptian business (importing arts and crafts)

Customer Question

I am opening an Egyptian business (importing arts and crafts) and would like my Egyptian contact/business partner to come over here to help set up - they would need to be here for 6 months plus , can they get a work permit for a short period like this? The bussiness is not established yet so I can't offer to sponser them. Is there any other way?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.
If the business is already established in Egypt and you now want to set up the UK side, providing you can show that your partner is coming to do one of a set number of activities, it may be possible for them to come as a business visitor providing they don't remain in the UK for more than 6 months at a time but they will need to show that they meet the following requirements:

To come to the UK as a business visitor you must be able to show that you:

only want to visit the UK for up to six months;

plan to leave the UK at the end of your visit;

have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working, help from public funds or you will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;

do not intend to charge members of the public for services provided or goods received;

do not intend to study;

can meet the cost of the return or onward journey;

are based abroad and have no intention of transferring your base to the UK even temporarily;

receive your salary from abroad.

You must also show that you plan to do one or more of the permissible activities which include:

attending meetings, including interviews that have been arranged before coming to the UK, or conferences;

arranging deals or negotiating or signing trade agreements or contracts;

undertaking fact finding missions;

conducting site visits;

delivering goods and passengers from abroad such as lorry drivers and coach drivers provided they are genuinely working an international route;

tour group couriers who are contracted to a firm outside the UK, who are seeking entry to accompany a tour group and who intend to leave with that tour group;

speaking at a conference where this is not run as a commercial concern and the conference is a 'one-off';

representing computer software companies by coming to install, debug or enhance their products. Representatives of such companies may also be admitted as business visitors in order to be briefed as to the requirements of a UK customer but if they are to provide a service involving the use of their expertise to make a detailed assessment of a potential customer's requirements this should be regarded as consultancy work for which entry under the points-based system would be required;

representing foreign manufacturers by coming to service or repair their company's products within their initial period of guarantee;
representing foreign machine manufacturers by coming to erect and install machinery too heavy to be delivered in one piece, as part of the contract of purchase and supply;

interpreting or translating for visiting business persons, provided the interpreter/translator is employed by the overseas company and is coming solely to provide this service for the visiting company member.
monteurs - workers, for example fitters or servicepersons coming for up to six months to erect, dismantle, install, service, repair or advise on the development of foreign-made machinery;

board-level directors attending board meetings in the UK provided they are not employed by a UK company, although they may be paid a fee for attending the meeting.

They will not actually be able to undertake work on this visa but if they will only be doing the activities listed above, they may be able to come on this basis.

It would be a good idea to instruct a solicitor specialising in immigration to prepare the application for your partner as they will be able to ensure that your provide the correct evidence and information to prove the rules are met.

I hope this answers your question in which case please accept. If you require any further information, please ask.
CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am unclear about what I am entitled to... For the £61 I paid do I get to ask more questions around this topic/related topic/a new topic etc. Is this a one off payment? - I am using this site as it seems to be much better value than actually visiting a solicitor, more convinient too, but want to be clear before I ask anything else! Many thanks.
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.
If you have further queries relating to my answer or your original question then I will gladly answer these queries within the money already paid. If you have a new query then you will need to start a new question thread although you can of course direct the question to me so that I am the one to answer it. You can either do this by going through my profile or you can continue with the existing thread but pay a further fee for the new answer. Thank you.