How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi there, my sister came to the uk in january 2011 on a student

Resolved Question:

hi there,
my sister came to the uk in january 2011 on a student visa, I would like to make an application for her as a dependent but she is 22 years old and Im 32. I have always looked after after our parent died.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.




Thanks for your question.


To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Does she have any pre-existing health conditions which require that you provide care for her
  • 2. Why does she wish to change visas if she already has a student visa, is it to settle permanently here

Kind regards.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1- she has no pre-existing health conditions

2- yes, she wants to settle permanently here with me.



Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


If she is over 17 and does not require full time care then I'm afraid that there is no possibility that she will get a visa as your dependent because she is viewed as an adult and therefore not dependent on anyone else but herself to live.


Assuming she does not marry or cohabit in a relationship with a person who has UK citizenship, ILR or is a national of an EEA member state then she would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions when her course finishes.


She must get an get a job offer from employer licensed for Tier 2 purposes and have the requisite number of points to be eligible to apply:-

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-


Once she has complete 5 years in this category she can apply for ILR.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions