How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi there, many thanks for your replies and advice, i have also

This answer was rated:

hi there, many thanks for your replies and advice, i have also contacted a firm called UK Immigration, who advised me for a fee i could apply straight away for a permanant british residency passport? i would like to know if this is an option for me? as i worry that i may pay the fee to then find that this is not applicable to my circumstances.

Many thanks again



How long have you actually been in the UK?


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

14 months?


Many thanks




Thanks for your reply.

I would question their advice strongly.


As the spouse of a UK citizen you are eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain only after you have been in the UK on your spouses visa for two years and your application must also be made at a time when you are still married, in a marriage relationship and it must be supported by your husband confirming the same. You can check here:-


Unless you have a UK citizen child under 17 the only way one can obtain ILR is on the basis of domestic abuse by your spouse, having been in the UK for 10 continuous years or 5 years if you have been on a workers visa - I can't see that this applies to you.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much for your advice - I really do not know what to do next - any ideas? Many thanks

I can only refer you to my previous answer to your question - you have to investigate the possibility of your employers sponsoring you for a Tier 2 visa, in the process of which they will have to carry out the Resident Labour Market Test.

Unless your husband is going to support you in an application for ILR at the end of the two year period this is the only option I can see. I would also caution that if you husband supports you and says that you are in a loving relationship when you are not then this could be taken to be deception/fraud by the UKBA.

If you have any British Grandparents than I may have a further option for you, but otherwise my advice is as per your previous question.

KInd regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you