Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

After completed 10 in the country i am going to apply for settlement

After completed 10 in the country i am going to apply for settlement visa soon. i am waiting result for MBA degree. in such circumstances what i need to do to apply for the visa? should i need to join university again to apply the settlement visa or not? i heard from my friends that i need to continue my study. However, if my course is over, still i need to rejoin another course? it will be my pleasure if kindly reply me
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Please confirm that you are seeking to apply for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of having spent 10 years here as a student (ie. under the long residency rules)
I’ve got to pop in to a meeting now for half an hour or so and will be able to respond upon return.
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Of course, i am seeking to apply for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of having spent 10 years here as a student. i am waiting for the result of MBA degree. Result may come out first week of August, 2011. I heard from my friends that to apply for the settlement visa, i need to rejoin another course.i mean i need to continue my education until getting settlement visa. if i have finished my current course, do i need to rejoin another course to continue my education until getting the visa?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The criteria for long residence is that you must have been in the country legally for a period of ten years and must have valid leave to remain in the UK at the time you make your application for ILR on the basis of your long residency.

If your visa is still valid at the time you reach 10 years legal stay in the UK you can apply.

If you visa has already expired, you can’t apply.

If your visa is going to expire before you reach your 10 years legal stay in the UK then you will only be able to apply if you receive further leave to remain so that it follows on from when your current visa expires up to you ten year point. If that means that you will have to apply for another course so that you can have your student visa extended then this is what you must do.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom