How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX romania,married with alan(british),and

Resolved Question:

hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX romania,married with alan(british),and we leave in bermuda.he is a Permanent resident in bermuda,and have a brittish passport.
i m not working,but we got our spouse certificate for me to reside here.
how can i get a british passport after marriage?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. How long have you been living in the UK please?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we are living in bermuda,never in uk
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ionela,

I believe I answer your question in another question that you posted to the board.

In any event here is a copy/paste of that answer:-

I’m afraid that if you are not based in the UK but are married to a UK national then you will not be able to naturalise yourself as a UK citizen. In order to become a UK citizen by naturalising as such you must have a period of residence in the UK with you spouses here. Once you have been here for two years you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain/permanent residence. 12 month after that you will be able to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen.

If you have been married and cohabiting with your spouse for a period of 4 years outside the UK and you wish to return to the UK to settle then you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain straight away but you will still have to wait three years until you can apply for naturlisatoin.

As a Romanian national you have a right to come here and exercise your treaty rights as an EEA national so there would be no need to apply for a visa of course.
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you