Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

question

my name is XXXXX XXXXX from romania,i got married with Alan(which is british).we leave in Bermuda,he is working i m not.now,my question is:how can i get a british passport,if we both leave in bermuda?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I’m afraid that if you are not based in the UK but are married to a UK national then you will not be able to naturalise yourself as a UK citizen. In order to become a UK citizen by naturalising as such you must have a period of residence in the UK with you spouses here. Once you have been here for two years you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain/permanent residence. 12 month after that you will be able to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen.

If you have been married and cohabiting with your spouse for a period of 4 years outside the UK and you wish to return to the UK to settle then you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain straight away but you will still have to wait three years until you can apply for naturlisatoin.

As a Romanian national you have a right to come here and exercise your treaty rights as an EEA national so there would be no need to apply for a visa of course.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom