How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im a British citizen living in Dubai married to an Egyptian

Resolved Question:

Hi, I'm a British citizen living in Dubai married to an Egyptian wife since the year 2000. We had 3 kids and they all are holding British passports. My family and I are planning to spend the summer vacation in London and accordingly I applied for a short stay UK visa for my wife. The application has been refused. Is that legal to refuse to grant a wife of a British citizen the UK visa. They mentioned in the reasons because my wife is a house wife they are afraid that she would stay there and not come back.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


They where they consider there is a risk of an overstay. You are going to have to convince them that there is no risk with a further application.



You have to try and show them that she has continuing obligations in Dubai which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that she is not a risk of overstay. Things like evidence of return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property).


You will also both have to execute declarations stating state the terms of his visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that you are both aware that she should leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain in the future on the basis of that relationship and you would not wish to prejudice that possibility.


You can also submit letters from persons that know her, for example you might ask the children's school for a letter stating that your wife has seen them to ensure that they enrolled the term after the visit.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions