How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married to a british lady and about to apply for my indefinate

This answer was rated:

I am married to a british lady and about to apply for my indefinate leave to remain from October this year.I am a South African citizen;if I am successful with this,can I have my daughter who is 32 and 2 grandchildren come and stay with us from S.A.
If you are just intending for them to come as visitors and then return at the end of the vis then they will need to satisfy the requirements of Rule 41 of the immigration rules which state:

41. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a general visitor are that he:
(i) is genuinely seeking entry as a general visitor for a limited period as stated by him, not exceeding 6 months or not exceeding 12 months in the case of a person seeking entry to accompany an academic visitor, provided in the latter case the visitor accompanying the academic visitor has entry clearance; and
(ii) intends to leave the United Kingdom at the end of the period of the visit as stated by him; and
(iii) does not intend to take employment in the United Kingdom; and
(iv) does not intend to produce goods or provide services within the United Kingdom, including the selling of goods or services direct to members of the public; and
(v) does not intend to undertake a course of study; and
(vi) will maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately out of resources available to him without recourse to public funds or taking employment; or will, with any dependants, be maintained and accommodated adequately by relatives or friends; and
(vii) can meet the cost of the return or onward journey.; and
(viii) is not a child under the age of 18.
(ix) does not intend to do any of the activities provided for in paragraphs 46G (iii), 46M (iii) or 46S (iii);
(x) does not, during his visit, intend to marry or form a civil partnership, or to give notice of marriage or civil partnership; and
(xi) does not intend to receive private medical treatment during his visit; and
(xii) is not in transit to a country outside the common travel area.

Providing that you can show that you can maintain and accommodate them without recourse to public funds and that they will return then you shouldn't have any problems.

If you are intending for them to come permanently then this is more difficult as your daughter is over 18 and so she will need to apply to come in her own right and not on the basis of you.

I hope this answers your question in which case please accept. If you require any further information, please ask.
CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions