How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married to a UK Citizen and we live outside UK. We are

Resolved Question:

I am married to a UK Citizen and we live outside UK. We are married for over 3 years. Am I eligible to become a UK citizen with out living in the UK for 3 years? Can't move back to UK because of my Job overseas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


I am afraid that in order to be eligible to be naturalised as a UK citizen you must have a period of residence in the UK (ie. Actually living here). There is no getting around it I'm afraid that you will see that the position is confirmed here:-


However, if you have lived with your UK spouse outside the UK for a period of four years AND you intend to come to the UK with them in order to settle here permanently then you could (prior to travel) apply for and obtain indefinite leave to remain. This means you could live the UK, travel outside for holidays (up to 2 years length) and return without restriction.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I wish to pay you as the ILR part is still a good news :) Will you be able to answer a seperation/divorce question?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Probably, yes, depending on the complexity. If I can't there will certainly be another expert who can and I will put them on notice.

Please click accept to this question then post a further question to the board requesting me to answer and I'll take a look.


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions