How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married my wife in Scotland in 2007. We did not live in the

Resolved Question:

I married my wife in Scotland in 2007. We did not live in the UK and were both Monaco residents. We still do not live in the UK and cannot do so due to our jobs.

My wife is a Moroccan citizen and I am UK born and citizen.

My wife is still a Monaco resident and owns property and other assets in the South of France and it is not our intension to return to the UK but is there any way she could acquire a UK passport without residing in the UK?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


I am afraid not. If you and your wife have lived together as man and wife for four years and now decided to return to the UK to settle permanently then she could apply for Indefinite Lease to Remain on the basis of the length of your marriage so that she need not apply for a visa.


In order to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen it is a prerequisite that a person has a period of continuous residence in the UK and there is no way around this:-

You will not the residence requirements on the above page.


Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you