How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i would like to bring my neice over from new zealand next october,

Customer Question

i would like to bring my neice over from new zealand next october, she is staying with me so i will sponser her. here's my question..... i hold a brittish passport because my father was born in scotland, is there any thing like patriality that my neice can do in order too perhaps lengthen her stay while in the uk? my neice is 21yrs old
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Where was she born?

What nationality were her parents/grand parents and where were each born?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she was born in new zealand, her grand father is scottish and her mother is my sister. we are both new zealanders, i applied for my brittish pasport 20 years ago, and have bee quite happy travelling on both passports.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If she is to travel here to stay for less than 6 months then should would not normally need to apply for a visa before she left because they are granted at customs to NZ citizens, but she should have evidence of the money available to her (eg. bank statements), travel insruance and details of her return journey.


If she needs to stay for a longer visit then she will have to apply directly to the UK embassy in NZ for a 1 or 2 year visa. If doing this she would need you to execute a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of the visit, that you shall accomodate her and pay any unforeseen expenses of her stay here so that there will be no need to access public funds.


She cannot undertake paid or unpaid work whilst in the UK on a visitor's visa. This is very important.


If she wishes to work her then she could apply for an Ancestry Visa, which are granted for five years. She will qualify if she can show that:

  • shge is a Commonwealth citizen (passport)
  • you are aged 17 or over (passport)
  • She has a grandparent who was born in the UK (grandfather's birth certificate + passport if available)
  • She is able to work and intend to do so in the UK (job offer, or evidence of jobs she can do)
  • She can support yourself and any dependants without needing any help from public funds (eg. evidence of salary she would earn, evidence of her personal savings, evidence of your savings/bankstatements if you are to write a sponsorship declaration on her behalf.

Again, she would need to do this by applying directly to the UK embassy in NZ.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tom, thank's very much for your time. What should i write in my sponsorship declaration, i know this may sound stupid but i need too know, just so i get thing's right.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your kind accept.



If there is a person in the UK who will be assisting you during your intended stay then to assist your application you should ask them to go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which they

You will have to state:-

  • 1. the terms of his visit,
  • 2. that she intends to return at the end of it
  • 3. that you shall accommodate her (free of charge if this is the case, otherwise stating the lodgings she is to pay). Also attaching evidence of ownership (Land Registry title document) or tenancy (tenancy agreement)
  • 4. that shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during her stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds. (attaching bank statements


This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors in your area via:-


KInd regards,