How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi..i was given discretionary leave to remain last year for

Resolved Question:

hi..i was given discretionary leave to remain last year for 3years and i am from zimbabwe. i would like to visit my family in the US for the summer. do i need a visa to the US or not since on the HomeOffice letter it says that i am free to travel?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

The UK government can only grant leave to remain in the United Kingdom, they cannot grant leave to enter/remain for any other countries (including the US)


It refers to free to travel because it means you are free to travel out of the UK and return during the leave to remain which is granted under the visa.


You will have to apply for an appropraite visa from the US government visa the US Embassy in the UK before you travel. You can find information about travelling on the UK Embassy (London) website:-


Sorry it could not be better news and good luck.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions